If your organization is new to Crowdfunding Alberta, please take a few minutes to create a profile on the platform.
To create your organization's profile, you will need to provide your organization's:
- Incorporation information
- Contact information
- Mission statement
- Charitable tax number (if a registered Charity)
- Paypal or Stripe Account Information (links to add account information or create an account is provided during registration)
- Upload a pre-printed personalized (with the organization's information) void cheque; and,
- Agree to the Government of Alberta's top-up funding disbursement agreement
You may create and save your organization's profile at any time; however, it must be submitted with your organization's first crowdfunding campaign for approval.
Platform Access Eligibility
In order to use the Crowdfunding Platform, organizations must be registered and in good standing under one of these Acts:
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act - Extra-Provincial Corporations
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Nonprofit Companies)
- Societies Act of Alberta
- Agriculture Societies Act
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Special Act of the Parliament of Canada
- Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act
- Income Tax Act of Canada and operating in the Province of Alberta (CRA-Registered Charities)
The following entities are not eligible to use the Crowdfunding Alberta platform:
- Politically affiliated organizations
- Municipalities, First Nations and Métis Settlements
- Commercial and for-profit organizations
- Schools/school boards
- Post-secondary institutions
- Any other organizations not registered under one of the above mentioned acts
- Organizations that have overdue or incomplete accounting or reporting relating to any grant previously awarded by Culture and Status of Women
- Organizations that are not in good standing with their incorporation
Before you can submit your organization's profile for approval to use the Crowdfunding Alberta platform, you must create your organization's first crowdfunding campaign.
To create a crowdfunding campaign, you will need to provide the following details:
- What you are raising money for. Check out the crowdfunding resources section to learn how to build a compelling campaign story.
- How much you hope to raise
- Image(s) that capture the impact of your campaign's focus
- Link(s) to your organization's social media sites, if available (website, facebook, twitter, instagram)
Once submitted, you will also have the option of offering perks or incentives to donors who give to your campaign. Please note, a campaign that offers donors perks or incentives will be ineligible to receive top-up funding.
Be sure to review the top-up funding eligibility criteria to improve your chances of receiving up to $2,500 from the Government of Alberta toward your campaign.
Government of Alberta staff aim to review organization campaign submissions within 10 business days of being submitted, but depending on volume, this process may take longer. Please note, campaign submissions that are incomplete, or include incorrect information take longer to review. Your organization will be notified by email once a decision has been reached.
Once approved by Government of Alberta staff, your campaign will be live on the Crowdfunding Alberta platform and ready to share with your networks!
Once your organization has been approved for use of the platform, you may create and submit as many additional campaigns as you'd like!
Each campaign is reviewed and approved by Government of Alberta staff on a case-by-case basis.