The Government of Alberta is providing $1,250 - $2,500 in top-up funding for eligible organizations that run successful campaigns on Crowdfunding Alberta as outlined below.
Organizations or campaigns found to be in support of, or for the legal defense of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism, or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity, or serious disabilities or diseases will be denied access to the platform.
Top-Up Funding Eligibility Criteria
In addition to the platform access eligibility, outlined here, to qualify for Government of Alberta top-up funding organizations must:
- have not already received top-up funding through the program in the current fiscal.
- operate at arms-length from one of the stated ineligible organizations.
- be registered and in good standing for a period of one year with any of the eligible Acts.
- have up-to-date accounting and reporting relating to any grant previously awarded by Culture and Status of Women and/or the Alberta Foundation for the Arts.
- have a minimum campaign target of $5,000.
- complete the top-up funding disbursement agreement. Please note, completion does not guarantee funding.
A wide variety of campaigns are permitted on the Crowdfunding Alberta platform. Only organization or peer-to-peer led campaigns that demonstrate the following will be eligible for Government of Alberta top-up funding:
- at least 75 per cent of the campaign goal has been raised through cash contributions received, exclusively, on the platform (assets and in-kind donations are not accepted):
- no more than $500 from any donor will be credited for the purpose of reaching the 75 per cent threshold for top-up funding; and,
- funds must be raised within four weeks of the campaign start date. Campaigns may continue beyond four weeks but will not be eligible for top-up funding.
- is raising funds in support of the following organizational needs:
- Capital and equipment
- Staff training
- Wages and benefits
- Research and development
- supports initiatives to provide programs or services to community members. Campaigns in the name of, or for the benefit of, a specific individual will not be eligible for top-up funding
- support costs projected to be incurred within 18 months of the campaign start date
While permissible on the platform, campaigns that reflect of any of the following are not permitted to receive Government of Alberta top-up funding:
- offer perks/rewards to contributors; and/or
- raise funds for any of the following purposes:
- Discretionary severance packages
- Staff bonuses or other discretionary income paid to staff
- Flow-through funds to another organization
Campaigns are unlimited
Organizations may run unlimited campaigns; however, only one (1) campaign per fiscal (April 1 - March 31) may receive top-up funding from the Government of Alberta.
Receipt of top-up funding does not impact organizations' ability to apply for other grants offered by Culture and Status of Women departments or the Alberta Foundation for the Arts.